The province of Mijas is in Andalusia, Located on the South Eastern side of the coast Spain, on a mountainside about 430 metres or 1,476 feet above sea level, in the heart of the coastal del Sol.
Mijas was founded in prehistoric times by the Tartessians, with remains of the original fortification which are still visible on parts of the exterior wall of the city. The area’s mineral wealth attracted ancient Greeks and Phoenicians to the village.
The Romans kept up lively commerce with Mijas, knew it as Tamisa the Romans domination was later replaced with the Visigoth after 714 AD. The Visigoths, in turn, were succeeded by the Moors. The Moors inhabitants to preserve their property, religion, and customs in exchange for a third of their goods from agriculture, livestock, and farming. It was also the Moors who abbreviated the name of Tamisa to Mixa, which later became what we all know as Mijas.
In 1487, Mijas resisted the attacks of the Catholic Monarch during the siege Malaga. After Málaga fell, the inhabitants surrendered and most were sold as slaves. During the Revolt of the comunersos a few decades later. Mijas remained loyal to the Spanish crown, which granted it the title of Muy Leal (“Very Loyal”). Soon after, Joanna of Castile giving the village the status of the villa (town) and it was exempt from royal taxes. Oh how I wished this was still today.
During this period and into the 19th century, Mijas suffered from intense pirate activity along the coast. It was this pirate activity that motivated the construction of the watchtowers that still stand today.
In the 19th century, Mijas’s livelihood was mainly agriculture, fishing, and some farming and mineral extraction. Grape vines were the main source of wealth in Mijas until the Phylloxera plague which destroyed all of the vineyards. Also important to Mijas’s economy was paper production. Some mills located in the area of Osunillas date back to 1744. The mid-1800s were a productive time for the local industry, thanks to the arrival of Valencia’s paper-makers, carpenters from Alcoy (an Alicante’s Spanish town), which created new links among manufacturers. Especially notable were the paper beds which were very useful in Málaga as they were used as raisin wrappers.
An important historical event happened on December 2, 1831. General Torrijos landed at the beach El Charcón with 52 men. They crossed Mijas, climbed the hill to the top and taking refuge at a house on Alqueria in Alhaurin de la Torre, on Molinas County property. They were surrounded by troops, sent by the governor Gonzales Moreno. Torrijos and his companions were shot on the San Andres beaches on December 11, 1831.
In 1873 a road opened between Mijas and Fuengirola, ending the segregation between the two towns which had been in effect since 1841. However, the village remained isolated until the arrival of the first newspaper, Second Republic. There was no phone service until 1953 and the town’s architecture consisted mostly of shacks. The population was scattered across the countryside, which consisted of small farms. During the post-war period, hunger and unemployment increased. The only work in the area was the collection of grass for the esparto, but the effects of droughts weakened even this industry. During this era, Mijas also was the scene of anti-Franco army operations because of the support and respect of the army in this area.
In the 1950s, an asbestos factory was built to reduce unemployment and the first small hotel was built because of the growing fame of the Costa del Sol. With the advent of tourism, the towns of La Cala and Las Lagunas began construction of residential urban residential areas, resulting in the birth of Chollocasa, Cala, Irentinspain, and many more cities. Las Lagunas appeared out of nowhere from the interior of a farming community and Cala La was a rural village with just 19 farming families.
Which if you have visited Mijas you will see the unbeliever different and to live or have a holiday home with roots and a feeling of having a heart and soul then Miajs is the place to be, one visit and you would feel the village heart beating.